Canada Vanier Graduate Scholarships (BESC Vanie)
Canada Vanier Graduate Scholarships (Vanier’sBESC) were created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to make Canada a global center of excellence in research and higher education. The scholarships are intended for a doctorate (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
Canadian universities with Vanier BESC allowance. Without exception, BESC Vanier is only valid in the eligible Canadian institution that submitted the application.
Level/area(s) of study:
Doctoral programs (or MA/PhD or MD/PhD combination) in health research; research in natural sciences and/or engineering; and research in social sciences and/or humanities
An eligible doctoral program must include an important research component that leads to the completion of a thesis, major research project, dissertation, scholarly publication, performance, recital and / or exhibition that is evaluated by an expert at the institutional level as a requirement for a program completion.
Joint graduate research programs with a professional degree (e.g., MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) as well as clinical-oriented study programs, including clinical psychology, are also eligible programs if they have a major autonomous research component, as described above.
Number of scholarships:
Up to 166 scholarships are awarded each year
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens can be nominated for a Vanier BESC.
Value/duration of the scholarship:
Scholarships are worth $50,000 per year for three years.
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
• be nominated by a single Canadian institution, which must have received a quota of BESC Vanier;
• pursue your first doctorate (including a joint undergraduate/diploma research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a proven and significant research component). Note that only the doctoral part of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
• intend to continue, during the summer semester or academic year following the announcement of the results, full-time doctoral studies (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) and research at the institution; Note that only the doctoral part of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
• have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2023
• have completed no more than 32 months of full-time study in their doctoral program, as of May 1, 2023 if:
enrolled in a joint research program, e.g. MD/PhD, MA/PhD, DVM/PhD. Candidates who fall into this category have access to the 32-month window, whether or not they have been previously enrolled in a master’s program; or accelerated directly from Bachelor to Doctorate (no time spent in Master); or accelerated from a master’s degree to a doctoral program without obtaining the master’s degree.
• have obtained a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
• must not hold or have held a CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC doctoral scholarship to undertake or complete a doctorate.
Instructions for applying:
Applicants must be appointed by a Canadian institution with a quota to which they wish to study. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier BESC program.
Applications are initiated in two ways. Either the student informs the Faculty of Graduate Studies of the selected institution of his intention to apply for the BESC Vanier program OR the institution begins the appointment process by contacting the candidate sought.
Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the institution offering the application before the internal deadline using the ResearchNet application system. The institution proposing the applications then forwards the recommended applications to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) no later than November 1, 2022.
It is important to visit the official website (link below) to access the application form and know all the details on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official scholarship website: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/home-home.html